The Highway Code Rule(s): 89,97
Vehicle condition. You MUST ensure your vehicle and trailer comply with the full requirements of the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations and Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations (see ‘The road user and the law’).
Before setting off. You MUST ensure that
- you have a valid licence and insurance to drive the vehicle you intend to use (see Annex 3)
- your vehicle is legal and roadworthy (see Annexes 3 and 6 for important vehicle maintenance and safety checks).
You SHOULD ensure that
- you have planned your route and allowed sufficient time for breaks and possible delays
- you have sufficient fuel or charge for your journey, especially if it includes motorway driving
- you know where all the controls are and how to use them
- clothing and footwear do not prevent you using the controls in the correct manner
- your mirrors and seat are adjusted correctly to ensure comfort, full control and maximum vision
- head restraints are properly adjusted to reduce the risk of neck and spine injuries in the event of a collision.
It is recommended for emergency use that
- you have a mobile telephone containing emergency contacts (e.g. breakdown assistance)
- you have high-visibility clothing.
Rule 97: Make sure head restraints are properly adjusted
The Highway Code © Crown copyright.