Before you drive any car on a public road you will need a driving licence.
You can apply for your licence 3 months before you are 17 so it is possible to have a driving lesson on your birthday. If you receive the higher rate of the mobility part of the Disability Living Allowance you can apply at 15 years and 9 months.
To apply you must:
- Prove you are allowed to live in the UK.
- Give addresses for the last 3 years.
- Be able to meet the eyesight requirements.
- Pay the money.
- Have a UK passport or other valid form of ID.
- Give your National Insurance number if known.
There are two ways of applying:
- At the Post Office and you will need form D1 which you get from the Post Office. It will cost £43 which you will need to pay by cheque or postal order which will cost more money.
- You can apply online at GOV.UK. This will only cost £34 but you will have to pay using a card. This is normally the easiest way.